YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday 13 February 2013

51-Day Book Challenge: Day 1, Favorite Childhood Book

You'd think I would answer Harry Potter, wouldn't you? But sad to say, that wasn't my go-to book growing up. I'd only started reading it when I was about 7; before then my childhood self had already pledged its heart to a few other series.

I know it says Favorite Childhood Book, but come on. I would never just have ONE answer when it comes to books.


I can remember the day my mom brought this book home, clear as day. I'd asked for a Disney Princess chapter book, but when my mom came home from National Bookstore, she said none were available, so she picked this little gem out. This started a love for Full House, and while I actually didn't watch the series till about 3 years ago, growing up, I loved reading about Stephanie & Michelle Tanner. Full House Sisters, Full House Michelle, Full House Stephanie, Club Stephanie, you name it, I had it.

My very first MK&A book. Again a singular gift from someone who did not expect it turning into a full-grown obsession.


Can you tell I loved Mary-Kate & Ashley growing up? May I just say, thank God for the Olsen twins. They provided me with a whole battalion of books about them: The New Adventures Mary-Kate and Ashley, Two of a Kind, Two of a Kind Diaries, So Little Time, My Sweet Sixteen, Mary-Kate and Ashley in Action, oh my. And you know what? To this day, I still reread them. They are so incredibly entertaining (Come on. They go to Hawaii for a field trip in one book, made their own top-secret ice cream flavor in another, and had a whole series devoted to them being secret agents).


You know what's strange about any of these series? I never chose the books out myself. They were all given to me, and I just so happened to love them. This particular series, The Baby-Sitters Club, was introduced to me by cousins Janelle & Jessica. In fact they'd given me the book as a hand-me-down (actually, a lot of my childhood books were hand-me-downs). And I'm sure glad they did. I LOVE Stoneybrooke, the place were this was series takes place. I love all the characters, especially Dawn, the Californian blonde (I so wanted to be her). 



But while those three series are close to my heart, there were two others that I still completely cherish to this day.



One of my godmothers, who lives in North America, loves to send me shipments of things. A good decade ago, she sent me a whole bunch of Nancy Drew novels, which I gobbled down quickly. I started my own collection, including the classics, to the new version, Girl Detective: Nancy Drew. And I had discovered a new side of Nancy Drew: PC games. They've got about 27 games out now, easily downloadable from the Internet, which are meant for adults, I think. They'll scare the beejesus out of any 11-year-old (they did for me, anyway). I loved the 2007 movie with Emma Roberts, but I just wish they didn't make her such a dweeb. 

And lastly, my favorite series of them all. No, still not Harry Potter. Harry Potter's not even a series to me anymore, you know? It's a facet of life. But anyway.




If you asked me which literary character I relate to the most, it's Ramona Quimby. She's the baby of her family, easily overshadowed by her perfect older sibling. She tries to be brave, but always ends up being scared. She loves to read, she's messy, she's grumpy, I AM RAMONA.One of my favorite Ramona Q moments was when she tried running away, and her mother packed a heavy bag so that she couldn't. I must say, I teared up at that one. "You're my Ramona. How could I get on with you?"

On a side-note, during therapy, I was able to channel Ramona and squeeze all the toothpaste out of its tube. 

Unlike the Nancy Drew film, I absolutamente loved Ramona & Beezus (2010). Joey King was a perfect, if too-pretty Ramona.They had all my favorite Ramona parts in it--Squeezing the Toothpaste, Jumping out of the Hole in the House, The Biggest Picture in the World, Rap the Hard-boiled Egg on Your Head, Running Away. 

I have to admit, without these series, I wouldn't be the reader I am today. Ahem ahem, <insert Oscar speech> I really do have to thank the countless titas and titos who gave me books, to my cousins and godsisters for being such cool little girls for giving me hand-me-down books (they're even cooler now that they're in their 20s, trust me).



My Childhood Today a.k.a Squatters in Places They Shouldn't Be Because My Room Has No More Room For Them.
My Babysitters Club books and MaryKate and Ashley books are hanging out  on the 2nd-floor landing.

Nancy Drew in the TV Room (Yes, that's Mrs Potts)





No comments:

Post a Comment