YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday 26 April 2013

49-Day Book Challenge: Day 17, Genre You Rarely Read (But Wish You Did?)

Easy. Classics and biographies.

I wish I was able to read biographies the way I do YA books, but the writing's obviously more sophisticated and flowery, so it takes more time for me to struggle through a chapter. I'm getting better at though; like they say, practice makes perfect.

Classics are a whole other matter. I've tried again and again to get into reading them, but I always end up caving and running back to YA with my tail between my legs. I don't know, they just don't hold my attention the way modern books do. Though lately, my determination to finish a classic has been strengthened by one awesome English teacher, Ms. Ng. Her love for Jane Austen & F. Scott Fitzgerald is totally infectious. Now I've decided to tackle The Great Gatsby. I love the time period it's set in; in fact, the YA book I'm reading now is set in the Jazz Age as well, so you might say I'm prepping for it.

Next question on the list is a tough one to answer: Favorite biography. Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Sam-o! :) My answer to that would be, sci-fi and fantasy. I would love to be regarded as a geek but, as you said, they can't seem to hold my attention! I remember trying to power through "Lord of the Rings" in college. I mean, I knew as I was reading it that it's beautifully written and all, but for some reason I could not help but fall asleep after a page or two. :))

    I like your kind of books. I love the glamour and grandeur of history! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to get through Lord of the Rings too! :) Hopefully I can finish it before the second Hobbit film is released.

    Right? I don't know why people automatically think "boring" when they hear the word history. I love reading about the cultures of other eras. I'm a complete sucker for period films too :)

    ReplyDelete